Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Sunday, January 31, 2010

How sweet it is

I finished my long run, one that capped off four weeks of hard training.  The run itself was really middle distance but represents gearing up for longer distances again.  It was a good one.  After bagging yesterday because of the weather, I started off when the mercury hit 14 degrees with a hint of sun peeking out.  I overdressed on purpose, so on the way out I was shedding and stashing layers.  After about 5 miles I was on a beautiful dirt road where I don't normally run.  The road is on top of a ridge and the sky was perfectly blue, and I was feeling great.  I pushed my turnaround further than I had intended, and the minute (yes, I swear, the exact minute) I turned around, the wind was in my face and the sky filled with clouds.  So the run back was the reverse of the first half, putting on clothes every mile or so.  I find this is okay on the way back, as I can concentrate on getting home and not worry too much about the cold.  Anyway, this was a nice and challenging run.

The four week training block itself was similarly challenging but very fun and rewarding.  First week: runnning base; second week: running power work; third week: running speed work; this week: lifting and long run.  Next week is themed "recovery" and I am looking forward to it tremendously (if I am not stupid and push myself too hard).  This is the first time I've applied such scientific training methods so I am curious to see if it makes a difference in performance.

This picture is meant to illustrate the large quantity of ice and snotsicles in my beard.  The ice didn't come out that well, but anyway, here's me after my run.


Today: Ran 14 miles.  Hot shower.  Yoga/stretching planned for this evening.

2 comments:

  1. Hah! We are on a similar course ol' chum! Got a nice dozen miles in myself this morning and plan to take it super-easy this coming week in prep for the 1/2 marathon Katie and I are running on the 6th.

    Am enjoying your blog a great deal and have been pleasantly surprised by a number of similarities in our training. I'm particularly impressed by the sum of calisthenics you do, as I'm a recent convert to BW movements over traditional weightlifting myself. I don't know if I'm stronger because of it, but I like it better, so it's at least worth that much.

    I've also found your 100 pull-ups in an hour goal intriguing. I might have to give it a try. I'm thinking 2 per minute, on the minute, for as many sets as possible ... maybe, I don't know. Doesn't sound like a very good time.

    Anyhow, stay radical brotha' and I'll try hard to do the same!

    cheers
    joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to running with you more in a few short months. Perhaps we should try to nail this 100 pullup thing together. What do you mean it doesn't sound like a good time??

    ReplyDelete