Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Back to basics?

I first became aware of fitness and the potential of the physical aspect of experience as a swimmer in high school - certainly an evolutionarily primal way of traveling but supported by buildings, chemicals, heaters, etc.  Later, in college, I felt  a much more return-to-nature (pre-industrial) connection with the physical experience as I got into backpacking, wilderness travel, and climbing.  All of these are practiced with modern equipment but don't need to be, and bring a simplicity of experience and a focus on meeting basic needs.  I have long since transitioned to running as my primary physical activity and connection with the outdoor world (supplemented by yoga, resistance training, cycling, etc.), and I often I catch myself in self-congratulations over its simplicity.  Yet how does that work, exactly, when I'm wearing synthetic clothing, watches, heart rate monitors, headlamps, Yaktrax, etc?; and how does it work when I'm running on a paved road supported by a massive infrastructure instead of doing something in the 2 feet of snow that are naturally on the ground?  I guess I could move to a warmer place and run barefoot.  I don't deny that running, like walking and swimming, are natural and ancient activities.  But is what I do really a back to basics practice?

Today: 6 miles running, 1 hour yoga.  Great combo.

No comments:

Post a Comment