Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Thursday, January 21, 2010

That's the spirit.

We all have those moments when we start out running, and think "man, this just isn't my day."  In fact I would say I had one of those moments today.  I almost gave in to the little voice inside: "listen to your body, if you're tired you need rest."  I almost declared it a rest day, got off the treadmill (yes, the treadmill), and walked back up to my office.  But sometimes I make the right choice, suck it up, and keep on, only to find myself in the middle of a really good workout.  Today was such a day, my friends.  I was running intensely and also finishing a 3 day series of upper body and core work, and sweating like a maniac in an indoor, stale gym.  Any tension of the day melted away and 4 hours later I still feel great.  Tomorrow, then, I can take an easy day, when I had planned to.

Today: 35 minutes speed intervals running: 
5 minutes warmup
3 sets of 5 x [45 sec @ pace (set 1 - 7:30; set 2 -7:15; set 3 -7:00) + 45 sec recovery @ 8:30]
   with ~2-3 minutes slow jog between sets
~3 minutes cooldown

130 pushups (assorted standard / wide / military press / diamond / decline / one armed)

3 comments:

  1. Excellent blog m'man, have read everything up to the current and will be following from afar. How about a little more detail on the structure of your running - i.e., pace, repeats, yaddayadda?

    cheers
    joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I use to keep a training log here: http://www.attackpoint.org/ and just stopped for no real reason. You might like it.

    ReplyDelete