Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I thought you were a runner

Still too sore to run.  Way too sore.  The leg workout from Monday was too much for my delicate constitution, and when I tried to hit the pavement today (ok, the treadmill), I found I couldn't do it.  So I did some resistance and core work as well as a little spinning to loosen up.

But the "failed" run reminded me that for those who may read this blog (all three of you), the name of the blog doesn't totally make sense - its title implies I am primarily a runner but right now I run so little.  So here's the explanation:  I've always been a low mileage runner.  When I did nothing but run (2001-2002) I rarely ran more than 4 (occasionally 5) times a week for maybe 30-35 miles per week at peak training.  I trained for my first marathon using the Galloway method, with short runs during the week and a long run every other weekend.  For me, that was successful.  As I incorporated triathlon (2002-2003) I was able to keep my running mileage constant because it was never that high, and there was room for swimming and biking.  For the next few years after that (2004-2005), I had a fairly mixed approach to training, cycling or running depending on my mood but not much else.  In fact for a year or so I focused on cycling (uphill) more than anything else.   In 2006 I was fairly unfocused, though, but added back more running mileage as I trained for and completed a 50 mile run in 2007.  Fast forwarding past recovery and fairly goal-less training, I found my motivation lacking and needed a change.  So, in 2009, I spent three months doing the "p90x" program (as seen on TV), running only once weekly to keep the muscles from wasting away, and since have been having fun again with both running and other kinds of training.  My runs are higher quality, and my body is stronger and healthier in some ways than ever before.  I've also really been enjoying yoga.  So now, the motivation is back, and if I had time I think I would be running more than before, but the time pressures of work and family are peaking in my life.  So, I am content to be healthy, happy, and reasonably fit.  I'm hopeful that speed and strength work will enable to me to run a good (PR) marathon in May.  As the weather gets warmer I'll switch some more of my training to running, and as I figure out that elusive balance in life I'll run as much as I can, and want to.

But in reality, it's always about running, whatever the activity.  Running was first for me, and there's no other source of flow that works so well for me.  If I had to pick one thing I'd run; I'll still run long after everything else melts away.

Today: 200 standard pushups; core/ab workout; 20 minutes spinning

No comments:

Post a Comment