Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Saturday, January 9, 2010

The runner's freezing point.

At some point, the number of miles you run approaches or exceeds the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit.  That can be relatively mild if you go for a 20 miler in 20 degree weather, although I typically feel pretty chilled at the end of that kind of a run.  This morning I nearly crossed that line for a short run: 4 miles at a balmy 5 degrees, before dawn.  I was well-dressed and my face was protected (typically the most challenging part of cold-weather running for me--balancing the need to breathe, condensation, and snot with insulation and wind protection), so it was great run complete with tracks through fresh powder and almost no auto car traffic.  As I was returning I saw the sun rising in part of the sky that was clearing up.  Still, it was a cold run and one that may push the limit of my dedication this winter.

Had a fantastic breakfast afterward of a pork carnitas omelette with hot coffee (no pushing the limit of dedication there), went to work for a bit, then met up with Jess and the kids as well as her parents and sister who are visiting for an excellent lunch.  So far a great day with plans for a nap ahead, some yoga later this evening, and a general lazy, sunny weekend afternoon.

Today: 4 miles running, yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment