Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Failure of the Zone Defense

Well, the girls got me good at bedtime.  The four year old kneed me in the groin while the not quite two year old stole the lid off the trash can.  Then, they were both jumping on the bed laughing, but before I could blink they were sobbing and wanting to be held.  Definitely an adjustment period, for all.

Great workout today (detailed below).  I've been enjoying treadmill runs much more when I split them up with lifting.  I do hope I can get outside soon - the major snowfall has stopped for now, the sidewalks are cleared, the weather isn't that cold, so there isn't really any valid reason not to drag myself out of bed and run outside.

What am I training for?   Well, a few things.  My next race will be the Vermont City Marathon, this May in Burlington.  My long term goal is to run a 100 mile race before age 40.  In the more immediate sense, I'm trying to focus on and define a more holistic and total-body approach to training and fitness than I've used in the past, hence the yoga, lifting, etc.  When I started I was a pure runner, and evolved (?) into triathlon, back to longer distance running, and now to what I hope will be an expanded and sustainable approach.

Today: 5 miles running with upper body lifting - 21 total lifting sets (various exercises)
  Warm up and stretch.
  1 set each bicep/tricep/shoulder
  1.25 miles treadmill
  2 sets each bicep/tricep/shoulder
  1.25 miles treadmill
  2 sets each bicep/tricep/shoulder
  1.25 miles treadmill
  2 sets each bicep/tricep/shoulder
  1.25 miles treadmill
  Yoga-based stretching ~15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment