Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Friday, February 12, 2010

Treadmill thoughts

I'm back, baby!  I ran today, and it felt great.  I briefly considered getting up this morning to run before work, but a temperature of 8 degrees turned me off to the idea, so I rolled over and ran...on the treadmill, in the middle of a beautiful clear day, looking outside the window at the gym.  The treadmill does have some advantages, namely its ability to keep me on pace and provide excellent speed and hill interval workouts, not to mention that it isn't affected by weather, snow, and darkness.  But even when I am able to motivate myself and act like a hamster while watching miles and minutes tick by (a trainable skill - the first winter I lived in Vermont I did a lot of treadmill running including some long runs), there is something surreal about running...nowhere.  What is the point?  One could ask that question about any run that ends where it starts, but we know better.  I guess today the point, treadmill or not, is that this was a good run.  Would I continue to run if I could only do it on a treadmill?  I'm not sure.

A little Olympics (Vancouver) to get me in the mood, a little skiing myself this weekend, and I'll pick up my running where I left off next week.  Not so for lifting, but that will be a different story (told another time).

Yesterday: Yoga 30min
Today: Run 4m at pace (~8:30) treadmill

1 comment: