Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Friday, February 19, 2010

Great run in the snow

One familiar theme is me planning to get up at 5 am to run and then choosing not to do it.  Usually I rationalize this somehow (too tired, too cold, will run later, etc.), and this morning was no exception.  But in a stunning reversal, I don't regret it now.  I brought running clothes to work and took a lunchtime run outside.  It had snowed a few inches overnight and was still snowing lightly.  I ran down a hill where my work is to a place called the Intervale, a farming valley in the northern part of Burlington.  There is a dirt road that runs through the intervale, past various farms, community gardens, and a huge commercial compost facility.  Sometimes in the summer it is hot and dusty, but it's always more pastoral than running through town.  Today it was really beautiful - although the roads in town were cleared of snow, the road through the Intervale was not.  Aside from a few cars, I saw only a family walking their dogs.  Oddly, the best moment was when I ran past the compost field and heard a very loud cacaphony of birds (crows?).  I've been so dependent on the treadmill for daytime runs lately that I've almost forgotten how good it feels to just duck outside for a little while, run, and come back feeling refreshed.  I started my running career with afternoon runs, and decades from now that's what I'll be doing, running in the late afternoon before dinner.

I'm also excited about a rare date with Jess tonight.  We've got a babysitter who knows the kids well, and we'll go out to dinner and see a concert.

Today: ran 4 miles easy and free

1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed at how romantic you make running in freezing temperatures sound! I'm just not sure if I could do it (put on a long sleeve today because it was only 60*F).

    ReplyDelete