Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

mesmerized for an hour


Part of the deal with my physical therapy is that I can use all of the exercise equipment at the gym where I go (the "rehab gym," it's called).  They have a pretty cool exercise bike that has a video screen with multiple courses you can choose from - it steers and simulates gears on your bike so you can try to go up and down hills maintaining your power.  There is a pacer (whose pace you control) so if you set it slightly faster than your own it gives you someone to chase.  I spent an hour on this thing, watching fairly primitive scenes of trees, coastline, and hills while chasing my pacer and occasionally yelling at him when I couldn't keep up (actually, he rides at a constant power output so it's easy to fall behind if you don't find the right gear quickly on a hill).  Certainly more fun than the usual slog on treadmill or indoor bike, and certainly easier than trying to read a magazine while sweating and keeping a cadence.  But it was fun and I feel good, having been resting for several days.  I've been authorized to start up with gentle yoga and try running again (well that was really me authorizing myself) so I hope the worst of this neck business is over.  Skiing this weekend might be a small setback but it will be worth it.

After PT and the gym I picked the girls up early and went home to spend some quality time.  Jess left for soccer so I fed the baby and watched him smile at me.  It's turned into a really good day, one that I'm glad for.  You can see the incredible quiche that Jess made from scratch for dinner.

Today: indoor bike 1 hour
Yesterday: rest (and restlessness)

1 comment:

  1. I've always thought there needs to be scenic video screens on stationary bikes...otherwise - borrrring.

    Glad it turned into a good day!

    ReplyDelete