Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Friday, March 5, 2010

Sunny days

We've had a series of beautiful sunny and warmer days that are perfect for running.  Today I had a fantastic low-key  run and eased back into some resistance training.

One thing I've discovered over the last six months or so is that running and resistance work complement each other very nicely.  I've never been a fan of those resistance circuits that are found in many parks (really, their aging remnants are found in many parks, as I think their heyday has passed), but I have found myself almost accidentally duplicating these when I break up treadmill runs with lifting.  In fact, if I had time I'd add some lifting before, during, or after every run, and yoga later in the day each time I run.  I'm not sure I can do this, as my wife will tell anyone who is interested that I already dawdle around for far too long after a run of any substantial length.  I think that's actually a nice side effect of endorphins: after running I really could care less about deadlines, time pressures, and what I need to do in the immediate future.  It's dissociative, but in a pleasant and mild way.

Wednesday: PT/Back exercises and stretching
Yesterday: Run 4m in 35:44 (8:56 pc), resistance: core ("Ab Ripper X"), pushups (75 total standard/wide/military), pullups with resistance band (45 total - 30 standard, 15 chin ups), dumbbell curls (3 sets of 10-15)
Today: PT/Back exercises;  plan for some yoga later on

No comments:

Post a Comment