Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Been a while

As the title says, it's been awhile.  To the many (2-3) faithful followers of this blog, don't worry.  I was busy at work, then in Florida looking for a house for when we move in 2 months.  So, don't call it a comeback, I was here to begin with.

I'm still in Florida, always beautiful in April, where it is 55 and sunny in the mornings.  Perfect running weather?  I think so.

I've had some nice workouts this week, and done a lot of thinking about training and my goals for the next year or so.  I've been having a lot of fun running but not feeling so good about the upcoming marathon or the long runs.  My distance training was going fairly well up until six weeks ago, but I haven't really done a long run since then.  I meant to go 20 yesterday but ended up at 13.1.  It was great run, through a rural road shaded by old oak trees, and I just stopped while I was still having fun, not wanting the solitary slog-fest that usually comes in the last third of the run.  So, I am going to put the marathon on hold for now until I get my head right (because don't get me wrong, this is purely a head issue -- sometimes I choose to push through the slog-fest and sometimes I don't).  I like the idea of doing 10-15 mile runs regularly for six months or so, mixed in with speed work, cycling, and a variety of strength and power training; then with a stronger base and overall fitness ramping up more quickly for a marathon or so in early 2011.  I think I peaked too early this time, mentally that is, spending all of my energy and joy fighting the snow and cold.  I may run the marathon for the fun of it but I'm not going to sweat the final long run.  Mixed feelings as it's been a while since I've planned on doing a race and then changed my mind, but it feels right.

Here's what I've been up to this week:
Sunday: 14 hours flying (and boy are my arms tired!)
Monday: run 4.5 miles
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: run 13.1 miles
Thursday (TODAY): yoga 40 minutes, core workout, 120 pushups (3 sets each of 10 wide, 10 std, 10 military).
Friday (TOMORROW): run ~5 miles

5 comments:

  1. 14 hours will definitely do it to you.
    I'm looking forward to being in the same race with you again, no matter what distance you end up doing. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't you run the half? I love the half. In my humble racing experience - 800 meter to 50k - the half-marathon has time and again proven the most enjoyable. My unsolicited advice: take the half to task!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, good idea. I will crush the half (which I am in decent shape for) and then just run the second half for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. crushing the half. strong words my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so hard core!

    I think Lisa and Jonathon have finally decided to sell their house in G'ville; too bad it's probably smaller than what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete