Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Friday, December 31, 2010

Thoughts while sitting in the sun watching the kids play.

Took a few sublime moments this morning to sit outside in the sun and read a book -To the Edge, by a NY Times reporter who attempted (ran? not quite done with the story) the famous Badwater / Death Valley ultramarathon.  While sipping coffee, reading, watching the kids play, and eventually pretending to be a mean pirate with them, I had a moment of bliss followed by a moment of awareness:   I think I am more at the fringes of society then I like to admit.  Why do I embrace endurance sports, and dream of ridiculous races and runs?  Why was my early adulthood defined primarily by wilderness travel (hiking, rock climbing, etc.) Why do I still picture our family living in a cabin and me building the furniture and tinkering with the solar panels?  This is not to say I dislike the conventional aspects of my life, but I think the realization today is that running (and distance running in particular) feeds a part of myself that needs to be fed.  


Perhaps this is all a way of saying I want to be more like my younger brother, who has always lived exactly the distance from society that he chose.  He has had the courage to eat a very alternative diet for five years (raw/live food), live in a truly "off-the-grid" house for several years, and wait very patiently for  a full time job that allows him to be outside all day.  Hmmm.


As I mentioned yesterday, I'm toying with the idea of running another 50 miler, then perhaps taking it from there to run a 100 miler.  Talking now about family implications during a year that is already going to be busy and challenging.  Again, hmmm.  


Good workout planned tomorrow but I will be superstitious and not jinx it until it's done.


New Year's resolutions / fitness goals for 2011 to follow.



TODAY (Friday, December 31, 2010)
Core, tricep, shoulder workout
10 minute run (warmup)
2 sets: 10 Turkish get-ups DB, Laying tricep extension DB, 40 weighted arm circles
2 sets: 15 straight leg raises (front, L, R), 5x10sec superman, Overhead press DB, 20 Chair dips
2 sets: 8 knee-to-elbows, Tricep kickback DB, 3-way straight arm raise DB


YESTERDAY (Thursday, December 30): REST DAY

No comments:

Post a Comment