Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Years Resolutions and Fitness Goals

This post marks a year of keeping this blog going -- a succesful resolution from last New Year, which was to do some (any!) writing on a regular basis.  I have no literary pretensions but I am happy to have put some thoughts to virtual paper.

New Years Resolutions/Goals for 2011 - outward focus
1) Presence.
2) Develop the less cynical, humbler, and less judgmental self.
3) Meet Jess's needs and wants before my own.
4) Garden and eat the food!

Fitness and well-being goals for 2011 - inward focus
1) Maintain consistently healthful diet - devise a sustainable way to deal with temptations, convenience, etc.
     - This includes reducing caffeine intake to a reasonable level.
2) Regular yoga to lead to meditation alone.
3) Real periodization of training. (i.e. approach it like real training!)
3) Regular cycling and leg strength training to begin after February marathon, to prevent recurrence of knee injury
4) Regular speed/tempo training (running).
6) Repeat p90x with Jess!! (Start date: mid-March)
7) Plan +/- train for ultramarathons to progress to 100 mile run.
8) Less drama about getting up for pre-dawn workouts - just do it.

Finally, here are the elements of weekly training, each to be included based on the focus for the week:
Runs:  speed interval, tempo, hill/power, trail, long run, recovery run
Leg strength/injury prevention: cycling, plyometrics, static leg exercises (lunges, squats, etc.)
Yoga
Upper body and core resistance training: core/back, pullups/back, pushups/chest, shoulder, tricep, bicep.

Meeting all of these goals/resolutions/plans will be difficult but worthwhile to try!



TODAY:
20 mile run (3:07:36, 9:22 avg)
What a way to ring in the New Year!  This was a good old-fashioned long run, done by myself with a pre-dawn start.  I had to dig deep here, folks, fighting off the usual cast of demons and voices that would have me stop, turn back early, walk, or simply give up running altogether.  In fact, this was a beautiful but gritty run.  The morning was cool but not cold, and I must have seen 10 or so deer on the roads and trails.  I did an out and back course, from my house to a forest with some nice running trails.  The "effort map" of the run was as up and down as any elevation map, with a low (difficult) point around miles 3-6, a high point from miles 9-11 as I was running on trails and passing the halfway point, and then a sustained low from miles 14-16.  Mile 16 I stopped for water at a local park, and the four miles home were mentally easy but physically very challenging.  I don't mind gritting my teeth and getting it done, but I don't usually have to grit this much!  I dug deep at and made the last mile the fastest of the run.

The significance of this run (for me, at this time) is that I have some confidence about the upcoming marathon (~Feb 19th).  Paradoxically this will allow me to take a few easy (?off) weeks to let my knee recover from whatever injury is not really getting better.  One could argue that this run was not the wisest move, and I could not refute that argument.  Nonetheless, I am proud of the run and feel good about it.

It will be a challenge to come in under 4 hours, but I think I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment