Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Monday, December 20, 2010

Toys and Work

I've been enjoying the holiday season and gotten a few workout-related toys.  Since my previous running/cycling watch died a slow and miserable death (not so waterproof after 5-6 years!), I have been coveting one of the new GPS watches.  I got one, aided by a surprise customer appreciation sale at the running store.  For those who care, it is the Garmin Forerunner 410; for those who don't, suffice it to say it makes an excellent gadget and early Christmas present.

After about 6 years in Mizuno running shoes I am finally trying something else as well.  Although I have many friends who are into barefoot running for various reasons, I haven't made this leap myself.  I do like the idea of lightweight and minimalist footwear, having applied this strategy to hiking in the past (I hiked about 850 miles in running shoes with my wife in 1999, and haven't really used boots since, except in snow).  So, I went and got some Saucony Progrid Kinvara shoes after seeing a nice writeup in a magazine. They certainly are light and on the first trial run I stopped noticing them after a mile or so.  Definitely requires a lighter footfall with more form-consciousness, especially on pavement, but that probably isn't a bad thing.  Will see how they do and hopefully transition them into long runs soon (not sure about February marathon).  I've only ever used three shoe models before this: Brooks Beast (when I was heavier), Saucony Grid Omni (before they redesigned and ruined it), and Mizuno Wave series.

Anyway, toys and gear aside, it has been an intense week for me.  Since this is a blog about training and a primarily physical experience, I think it is fair to say that my job has been intense on physical as well as emotional and mental planes for the last several days.  I have been up for a good part of the night the past few nights, working intensely all day, and grabbing short naps and quick workouts in between.  I am finally emerging from this tunnel, which was unpleasant but not altogether bad (in fact the feeling of satisfaction resembles getting through a workout that was unexpectedly hellish).  The bottom line, though, is that I  experienced an almost altered state of consciousness while working at least in part to serve and take care of other people (patients, in my case).  Food for thought as I work on that elusive balance in life.

Recent workouts:
short runs
indoor bike
stadiums with dumbbells in hand (10 lbs each side)

Will provide more workout detail in the future.

Next long run planned for Christmas Eve - 18 miles.

2 comments:

  1. Nice choice on the watch. I have the 405, but apparently Garmin has a fixed a few glitches (like you have to lock the bezel otherwise it goes screwy on you in the middle of your run) on the new 410.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got the Kinvara?!? Fuck off! I am very jealous. Keep me updated as they break in, they're going to be my post-holiday gift to self.

    ReplyDelete