Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Friday, December 10, 2010

Up all night; triangles

Today was a "2-a-day" kind of day (although the last two days were nowhere close, so I guess it averages out).  I think it's a fitting start to what is going to be a bit of a grueling weekend:  up all night at work tonight (Friday), home for a few hours Saturday morning, and then working from 2-10pm tomorrow.  An 18 mile run from 5-8 Sunday morning, then several family activities and a small semi-public speaking role Sunday evening.  If this isn't good training for a 24-hour race, I don't know what is!!!

In global news: I am happy with my overall fitness, but for two nagging issues: (1) right knee bothering me more and more; (2) can't seem to get to "race weight".  As for the first, this not the knee that was injured this spring -- that has healed -- but a flareup of a more chronic bit of pain.  It doesn't fit well with my training plan, which is to push hard for several training cycles with some rest in between.  At least it only hurts going uphill, so good thing I'm in Florida.  As for the second, I seem to lack the simple discipline to not eat the multiple sweets/donuts/etc. that seem to show up every day at work.  I think if it weren't for this I would have no problem.  Discipline, anyone?

Finally, the deep thoughts section:  I have often thought of life and satisfaction as related to the classic (?) triangle of mind, body, and spirit.  In fact I think I'm doing ok with the first two and even starting to develop the third.  But there is something missing, as this triangle is so inwardly focused.  Perhaps an outwardly focused triangle along the same lines would be friends/family, work/productivity, and personal/spiritual.  (Or in a more "primitive" sense: village, food, and personal/spiritual).  Food for thought during a long run -- in many ways the ultimate in combining the three elements of the inwardly focused triangle into one experience.

Today: Run 4 miles (am), lift - pullups (20 total), biceps (DB), triceps (DB, dips), pushups, ab/core, shoulder (DB)
Wed & Thu: nothing (blech)
Tues: run 4 miles
Mon: Stadiums

No comments:

Post a Comment