Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Week, weekend, and zone.

After an excellent mid-distance run last weekend, I started this week with a crisp Monday morning run, and things were uphill from there (in a good way).  Having committed to the marathon in February, and written out a shorter and more focused training schedule than I'm used to, I am feeling great! Four good, solid runs this weekend, with an 8 miler this morning that had traces of my faster pacing from 5 years ago (thanks, David, for pushing me).  I think and hope that now will be the time that I say goodbye to the negativity that has plagued my running for about 2 years off and on.  Of course it doesn't hurt that the weather is perfect (mid-40s in the morning) and will continue that way through the winter.  One final thought:although my buildup and training period is shorter, I think it will help me avoid peaking too early in terms of motivation--a problem in the past with 6 month or training periods.

My running partner this morning told a story about finishing a run and not remembering the last few miles of it.  We settled on the idea that he was in "the zone" (vs. oxygen-deprived), and I was recollecting the few runs where I was that deeply in the zone.  A few specific long runs come to mind, as do a few trail runs where the footing was so tricky I had no room to think in the conscious.  A few of these runs are on my list of memorable runs, but a most aren't.  Thinking more about it, there is some element of the "zone" in most runs I take, and often I will go in and out of the zone (or "flow") state of consciousness multiple times during the run.  I can think of many long runs like this, where a few effortless miles alternate with a few miles of focus, concentration, and the internal discussion of whether to stop and walk for just a bit.  Those of little faith will point to endorphins or hyponatremia or some other physiologic explanation for alterted level of consciousness, but I hold to the idea that I am touching an altered state (not level) of consciousness.  In part, that's what keeps getting me out the door.

With Veteran's Day on a Thursday, I took Friday off as well and enjoyed a great four-day weekend with the family.  Picnics, dinner with my parents, a movie with Jess, good sleep, and some long overdue yardwork were what we enjoyed.  Not too often that this opportunity comes along, so I am glad I took advantage.  Some sublime moments here as well (running is not the only path to the zone!)

WORKOUTS:
Mon: Run 4 miles
Tues: Lift (Bicep, Tricep, Pullup, Pushup, Ab) - this one made me whimper with pain!
Wed: Run 4 miles
Thurs: Yoga
Friday: Bike 20 miles, Lift (Shoulders, Pullups, Ab)
Saturday: Run 4 miles
Sunday: Run 8 miles

1 comment:

  1. I love the zone and only wish it came earlier and lasted longer. "The Zone" reminds me of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQVykC9Nhm4)FCAT video my school put together a few years ago. Careful, it gets stuck in you head ;) BTW, that's the principal sweeping the floor at the end.

    ReplyDelete