Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Misadventure

Today was my triumphant return to cycling -- It's been nearly a year (sing August 16th of 2009, in fact) that I've even been on my road bike.  Granted, I've been biking to work one or two days a week since moving to Florida, but I was psyched to pump up my tires and go.  Although I've been a runner from the beginning, I really enjoy cycling, and in the past have done some good riding -- especially when training for triathlons and when I lived in western Colorado.  So I got the bike down, got out the pump and oiled the chain (don't worry, not WD40), and got going.

Now, I have an unofficial rule that I don't, or at least shouldn't, postpone an outdoor workout just because it might rain or snow.  If it is actually raining or snowing, that's a different story, but if it is merely cloudy or threatening to precipitate I usually try to just get out and go.  In general this has gotten me out the door with only a few memorable slogs or epics, and let's be honest -- it can rain even if it doesn't look like it will.  Today, it had rained overnight and earlier in the day, but the weather was partly cloudy as I headed out of the garage.

The ride started out well enough, though my cadence was sluggish, but after about five miles, as I turned onto the road that would be the major part of my route, I saw a very dark and threatening cloud overhead.  It started to rain, and rain hard, as only a summer thunderstorm in the south can do.  Visibility was quite low, and I was riding through newly-formed six inch puddles, but what the heck.  It was a warm day and I was having fun.  When the lightning started I turned back toward home, trying to picture what Jess would say if I kept going.  (Hint: it might contain the words "not very smart").  I got back and the girls were playing in the backyard in the rain, so I joined them for some swinging and sliding, then went back to the garage to complete the day's workout.


So my triumphant return to cycling was all of twelve miles, but as usual I am happy just to have gotten out the door.   In all honesty I've had some trouble finding/making time to work out in the last few weeks, and my schedule at work is busier than in a long time.  So to paraphrase G.I. Joe, getting out the door is half the battle, and I've at least been doing that.

Wednesday - short but worthwhile early morning yoga
Thursday - ran 1.5 miles to park, then 30 each of burpees, pullups, squats, lunges, pushups; ran 1.5 miles back home.
Today - cycle 12 miles (44:25 / 16.4 mph); then 3 sets of: 40 straight leg alternating side crunches, 15 pushups with bars, 5 pullups, and 8-10 rep dumbbell bicep curls.

1 comment:

  1. Great unofficial rule! What about heat? Do you ever not go because it's so stinkin' hot outside? That was my excuse this weekend.

    ReplyDelete