Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Saturday, July 10, 2010

yardworkout

I had an interesting couple of days.  Yesterday, on my way home from work, I ran into an old friend and mentor who encouraged me when I was first starting with triathlons (now 8 years ago!).  We chatted for a while, and I mentioned that my workouts have tapered off in general since having small children.  He listed a bunch of folks who also had to "slow down" when their kids were young, and then told me how they all ramped back up later in life.  So this is the time, my friends, when quality trumps quantity...

Today, instead of running, I did yardwork for three hours in the blazing sun (~95 degree weather at midday).  Yes, I did have the benefit of several gasoline powered tools, but there was plenty of good clean work and sweating.   I can tell you, speaking of long workouts, that I feel a sense of tiredness I haven't felt in a while.  Even before writing this, it reminded me of coming in after a 5 or 6 hour bike ride.  I think I will feel it in the morning, so I guess for a workout, that's okay.  And the yard doesn't look half bad.

Today: yardwork!
Tomorrow: running

1 comment: