Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 12/100: pleasure in daily activities

Today I got up and had a really nice breakfast with my family (eggs, sausage, bran muffin, watermelon).  It seems like a few years ago we had more of these breakfasts, but as life has gotten more complicated and a little busier, they have become a almost noteworthy events.  Lately, Jess and I both work out in the morning as well, so make mornings more hectic.  Today, however, we both slept in.  I'm not sure why breakfast is such a pleasant time--perhaps because everyone is in a generally good mood and not tired, because the food we eat for breakfast is usually quite tasty, or because sipping coffee provides a nice stimulant kick. 

Then I mowed the lawn, something I enjoy quite a bit.  In the grand scheme of things, this represents the continuation of my journey towards becoming more and more like my father (unequivocally a good thing!).  Today was especially relaxing as it wasn't yet hot and I listened to some music while I mowed.

Yoga practice for today was actually surprisingly intense and novel.  This was a YogaToday youtube video called Twisting Away Tension, which not only had some novel variations on both prayer twist and supine spinal twists, but had a great core section with leg and arm movements while holding boat pose.  I felt great afterwards.  It's still interesting to practice yoga while trying to ignore the distractions of playing and occasionally crying children nearby (somtimes next to or on top of me!).

I read with the kids for a little while, then took Cadien out for a bike lesson.  She has made some really good progress in the last few days, and I think I will be able to take my hand off the seat -- such a metaphorical step! -- before too long.  It's amazing to me, though, how these bike lessons are fatherhood in a microcosm:  a delicate balance of coaching, encouraging, teaching, comforting, and pushing.

Finally, I came to work for the evening.  So far it has been fairly low key but fun to get back to my "roots" as a pediatrician.

No comments:

Post a Comment