Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 19/100 clean living continues

The last week or so has been a good one for clean living.  My nutritional habits are far from perfect, but in general they have tended towards healthier and smaller portions, with less refined sugar and late-night eating.  Like I said, though, I am far from perfect, as I did enjoy a vintage cola this afternoon.  I had to laugh when I was told it is healthier because it has "real" sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.  If we're going to do something unhealthy but fun, let's just admit it!   I have yet to try fasting but would still like to incorporate it in some fashion.  Perhaps skipping a meal to start?  Finally, I am reading The Paleo Solution, a book about a dietary regimen that several of my friends are following.  So far it is mildly interesting but not earth shattering.  However it is not completely full of shit (yet) so I will keep reading.  Reflecting back, I've read a lot of books like this:  Atkins's original book, one called Breaking the Sugar Addiction (probably the best one), and many vegetarian, vegan, and live food tracts.  It's interesting how they often use the same logic to reach different conclusions.  I think in the end we can approach but never reach some very difficult-to-characterize truth about nutrition that incorporates moderation, healthfulness, variety, and minimizing refined sugars.  Or, perhaps that opinion is uninformed because I have never committed to and tried any of these specific diet plans.

Yoga has been going well, although after about 14 straight days I realized that at this point a daily practice was not the best idea.  Logic as follows: (1) in order to maintain a daily practice, I had time for very little other training, working out, etc.  (2) Because of that, my daily practice had to be fairly vigorous, requiring a lot of standing poses with lunges.  (3) These were irritating my knee.  So, instead, I decided to follow my own nutrition philosophy in a different context, and started practicing moderation and variety.  Here is what I've been up to:

Day 19 (today): Yoga (~1 hour) - "Ashtanga Primary Series" from Yoga Today.  Plenty of vinyasa with some standing poses and forward bends.  Also a nice series in preparation for swinging ("floating") through from downward dog to staff pose and vice versa.  The more I explore yogatoday.com the more I am impressed.  These are some nice practices, and many are available for free on Youtube. I may overcome my cheap instincts and actually buy one from the website too.
Day 18:  Lifting.  This was like an old-school workout for me:
Repeat 4 times:  5 pullups
                         15 pushups (various types)
                         15 weighted incline situps
                         bicep dumbbells (2 sets regular, 2 sets static)
                         tricep dumbbells (2 sets bench DB raises, 2 sets kickbacks)
                         shoulder 1 (2 sets straight arm raise, 2 sets overhead press)
                         shoulder 2 (2 sets upright DB row, 2 sets DB fly)
Bonus set:  5 pullups, 15 pushups, 15 weighted incline situps
Day 17: Swim 1500 yd
Day 16: Yoga 30 minutes. "Yoga for sleep" from YogaYak

Day 15: Indoor bike 12.7 miles / 45 minutes / 106W / 17.1 mph
Dayy 14: Lift back / core / chest at O'Connell Center Gym, Swim 1250 yd. (this was a good workout with friends)

Overall it's been a great week, as I reflect back.  Work is a little slower-paced, allowing some time for reflection and a few more dinners at home.  The kids are all doing well and I am enjoying watching them really start to express their personalities, as well as develop genuine relationships with each other that do not depend on us.  And my wife, of course, is amazing. 

Today we went to the Retirement Home for Horses and fed carrots to horses with a few other families.  Great fun, and I even think I am getting used to the summer heat, finally.

1 comment:

  1. Ironic...I'm reading The Paleo Diet (revised edition) right now. I picked it up just after starting CrossFit since I know that it's "their" suggested eating plan. I agree, nothing really earth-shattering...eat more real foods and less processed ones.

    ReplyDelete