Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Heat challenge and rediscovery

A good week so far:

Today (Wednesday):  Started formal physical therapy for my knee.  I liked the PT and his student so I think it should be helpful.  We'll see how well I'm able to refrain from running, though.

Yesterday (Tuesday):  Mixed ab/core workout (AM); 4 mile run (PM)
Wow - a two-a-day!  The afternoon run was snuck in between my workday and my worknight, and let me tell you, when I stepped out of the hospital at 3pm it was hot.  I found out later that we broke a heat record for the date.  Great.  After two miles I was parched and after three miles I had to stop for water and a rest.  I don't mean I felt like stopping, but I really had to stop.  Every season it amazes me how even a slight heat challenge is, well, such a challenge, and how the brain/body can so adeptly put the brakes on effort until acclimatized.  Not a bad run, but a hard one.

Monday: rest

Sunday:  Mountain bike 2 hours / 13 miles
First time on the mountain bike in about two years, on a beautiful day with a good friend.  I took a bit of a tumble over the handlebars but otherwise had a great time.  Spring is in the air even as the sun begins to bake overhead.

Saturday: Run 6.25 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment