Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Staycation week

This week has been great.  I took a week vacation with no plans other than to spend time with my family and get a few projects done around the house.  Uncharacteristically, I did not get involved in an elaborate home improvement project, so I really have been enjoying a relaxing week.  The weather has been about the best that Florida has to offer, with cool (by that I mean high 50s or low 60s) mornings with mid-80s during the afternoon.   I had been feeling rather lazy and inactive over the last few weeks, but this week I got plenty done.  I'm also very proud of Jess, who is getting up every morning for the p90x workouts.  I join her, sometimes.  Here is the week so far, in reverse chronological order.

Today: Rest day / Bike 7.5 miles with 35-75 pound load.
I took Rowan in the double bike trailer to pick up Cadien at her new school.  My new mantra is cross-training, so this was a perfect way to spend a low-key day.  Luckily I took the mountain bike, so there were plenty of small gears with which to haul two very substantial children up the best hills Gainesville has to offer.  I have little hope of getting back into my former biking shape, for the next few years anyway, but I really do want to get back into cycling.  I think my ongoing knee problems really re-surfaced as I stopped cycling regularly over the last 2-3 years.  Since my knees were a big part of what caused me to take up triathlon 9 years ago, it may not be a bad idea to retrain my legs and quads.  I won't have the time to slog through 120 mile training rides, but something once weekly in the 20-50 range with a quick indoor bike interval session as well should be feasible.

Wednesday: Yoga 45 minutes; Bike 7.5 miles with 0-40 pound load.
Got up with Jess and did a very free-form yoga practice next to her while she stretched.  After almost two years of yoga I am  able to put together a routine that progresses naturally and feels vigorous, although I'm sure my form does not justify striking out on my own.  This made me feel great all day, and the ride to pick Cadien up in the bike trailer was icing on the cake.  The day was also fantastic, with a very cool morning (don't worry New England friends, I won't dare use the word "crisp") and a warm afternoon. I also sanded the playground this morning - not too bad as it is only 8 months since we installed it!

Tuesday: Run 4.25 miles; Biceps / Pullups
Run 4.25 miles
6 sets of:
   -5 pullups or 5 chinups (1,3,5 pullups; 2,4,6 chinups)
   - one set bicep dumbbell (1&4: bicep curls; 2&5: hammer curls; 3&6: cross-body curls)
This was a good one, and I am still feeling it 48+ hours later.  This workout made me feel that I was pushing through a fog of torpor and re-committing to fitness.

Monday: p90x "Core Synergistics"
I dragged myself out of bed to do this workout with Jess.  It was great.  A lot of plank-based moves, with some weighted lunges/squats.  Would be great to add knees-to-elbows or Turkish get-ups as well but haven't done that yet.

Sunday: Run 5 miles (in Naples, FL).
It was hot.  As usual, though, a great way to explore a new place.  Although I tried to run along the beach, the best I got was a view of some very expensive-looking beachfront property.




No comments:

Post a Comment