Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Steady Rhythm

If the week can be said to have a theme, it is rhythm.  Just as I realize I am updating this blog about once weekly, many aspects of life seem to have fallen into a comforting rhythm - family dinners, work, weekend activities and schedule, and (finally) running and training.  In the same vein, over the past few weeks I have really felt that we are really settling in as a family and making a home here (something I worried about as recently as a few weeks ago in these very pages).  This weekend we enjoyed a romantic Friday evening dinner, the girls' final soccer game of the season, a nice time downtown with my parents, a quick getaway with Jess to a book sale, an outstanding church service, and a fun halloween party where about 40 kids in costume played while we chatted with friends.  Not too bad, really.  I think it is no coincidence that I am feeling this way after being home from a lot of travel and work, and putting a very busy and challenging month nearly behind me.  Probably the funnest part is the "small town" aspect where we see acquaintances from one arena (e.g. work, soccer) at another place (e.g. friends' party, downtown).  Of course, my mildly impaired facial and name recognition skills are put to the test in these situations.

Training has been going well, though training for what I am not sure.  I have gotten some great running in over the past few weeks, with some speed work and some mid-distance mileage creeping back into the regimen.  Lifting/calisthenics has been good, and although I wish for more time for yoga and cycling I do those when I can.  Weekly stadium workouts are another positive addition, so if I can keep it up I think my general fitness level will be very good.  Specific fitness is more the question for now, though.  I'd love to capitalize on strength gains to actually become a faster runner -- the obvious choice as returning to triathlon is unrealistic for me right now.  I think I have a half marathon coming up in a few weeks, and if that goes well maybe I'll be motivated to do a full one in the winter/spring (hopefully with better than last time's less than stellar performance).  Then perhaps planning for the 100 miler before or around age 40.  Hmmmmm.  Food for thought.

Speaking of food, so many of my friends are doing the "paleo" diet or some variation, I need to look into it more.  Will report back once I do.

Today (Sun): run 9.2 miles
Yesterday (Sat)
Fri: stadiums and pull-ups
Thu: pushups, abs, and indoor bike
Wed: rest
Tues: hot afternoon run
Mon: biceps/pushups/abs/triceps

2 comments:

  1. I love the "small town" atmosphere of G'ville. Since living there I've always said that if it were closer to the water, I'd live there without a doubt! Love it - just too far from the beach for me.

    Interested to see what events you end up running this season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and stadiums! I only did that once but man was it a good work-out!

    ReplyDelete