Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Light at the end of the tunnel

Well, I guess I am not going to get to a thorough review of my recent travels.  The highlights, as I mentioned, are as follows:

Running to the Pacific Ocean.
Seeing an old friend and walking through the streets of San Francisco while catching up.
Enjoying getting to know some of my colleagues, luxury-style!
Two excellent courses/conferences (so good I didn't pull my usual routine of skipping out on the meeting to explore the city).
Running through Pittsburgh in perfect early fall weather.
Staying with a wonderful family who graciously hosted me while in Pittsburgh - some people that I clicked with pretty well despite having never met them.
Returning home to my amazing family, with second-to-none welcome back hugs.

Since the beginning of October I feel like I haven't stopped to look around, mostly because of work.  Thankfully, on the recent trips I had plenty of time to think about life, the universe, and everything.  Still managing to fit in some workouts while on call, though I am struggling to balance this with family time and sleep!  The light at the end of the tunnel is the end of October: I work the weekend of the 30-31st and then no weekends for quite a while.

Major fitness-related event was buying a full set of dumbbells, which after a long while of screwing and unscrewing plates and using mismatched bands, I am happy about.  In fact the plan (and justification for getting them!) is that this will enable Jess and I to do the p90x program together, mixing workouts with time together and mutual encouragement.  How can it get better than that?  So, in the meantime I've been working on developing a loose rotation of 3-4 basic exercises for back/pullups, chest/pushups, shoulders, bi, tri, legs, and core/ab.  Today I stumbled for the second time on a great formula -- lifting mixed with interval running, as follows:

(TODAY):
Repeating each unit twice:

First unit:
  Run 4 minute loop at moderate exertion (trying each time to beat last time)
  Dumbbell bicep curls
  Pushups - standard (25 first set / 15 with bars second set)
  Dumbbell overhead press
Second unit:
  Run as above
  Dumbbell concentration curls
  Pushups - military (15 first set / 10 with bars second set)
  Dumbbell straight arm lifts (8 front / 8 side)
Third unit:
  Run as above
  Dumbbell hammer curls
  Pushups - wide grip (20 first set / 15 with bars second set)
  Dumbbell overhead row
Fourth unit
  Run as above
  Dumbbell static curls (8 each side while holding other side at 90 degrees)
  Pushups - diamond (5 each set)
  "Pike press" pushups (15 each set)
  Dumbbell front fly
Cool down run 10 minutes

(YESTERDAY/FRI) - rest
(THURSDAY) - run 4 miles
(WEDNESDAY) - yoga 45 minutes
(TUE) - rest
(MON) - lift tri, pullups/back, ab, legs (similar to today but no run)
(SUN) - run 7.8 miles
(SAT) -travel day

1 comment: