Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Monday, June 7, 2010

Good exploratory run

When I started running, I used to like to just run and explore neighborhoods, streets, and roads.  I still do this when I move somewhere new, or when I'm visiting somewhere, but haven't had the opportunity much recently.  Today, I took a run during lunchtime at work, and instead of my usual routes down to the waterfront or through the Intervale, I thought I'd go down a bike path leading south through a very nice part of town.  Of course, after 10 minutes of running on the University of Vermont campus (around dorms and other buildings), I was nowhere near the bike path, but I did end up running through some pleasant shady residential streets, enjoying wonderful weather and a cool breeze.

I've always thought that this kind of running is metaphorical, representing the kind of exploring and letting go that makes life interesting and, sometimes, meaningful.  This is my view of a certain type of international traveling as well, not one that I've done much, but the kind where you strap on a backpack (or, better yet, put a pair of underwear in one pocket and a toothbrush in the other), and just go somewhere.  In any case, it's fun and has a different flavor than running the usual routes.

Today: ran 4. 5miles.  Pretty well recovered from the marathon though my left knee is a little touchy.

1 comment:

  1. Ha, ha, I travel pretty lightly but I have yet to just go with a pair of underwear in one pocket and a toothbrush in the other. I think I'll stick with the backpack.

    ReplyDelete