Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Back to borrowed basics

Tonight's workout was simple and old-school:  50 pull-ups, 100 push-ups, one-arm single-leg deadlifts, and a running form exercise.  The fun part, I realized as I finished, is that each part is borrowed.  Here's how it broke down:

The pull-up / push-up section, while not an original concept, was taken almost verbatim from Dean Karnazes, in a Runner's World blog post on cross training.
15 standard pull-ups
15 behind neck pull-ups
15 chin-ups
5 standard / chin switch grip
40 standard push-ups (with bars)
20 triangle push-ups
20 wide grip push-ups (with bars)
20 standing (pike) push-ups (with bars)
These were mixed around in various sets.

The one-arm single-leg deadlift is an exercise originally given to me by a physical therapist, and then written about by Tim Ferriss in the Four Hour Body.  Today I did 10 on each side with 30 pound dumbbells.

Finally, the running form exercise, call the 100-up was recently found and (re-)published by Chris McDougall in the New York Times.  This one is to train my legs so I can run well when I get my knee fixed!  I did the "minor" version.

All in all, a nice workout.

-----

As I wrote last time, I have been experimenting with the Paleo diet, or at least my variation thereof.  For those who want to know, it has been:  meats, vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts, and beer.  I also put a bit of soy milk into fruit and spinach smoothies.  The first week went great, although I did feel a bit hungry near the end of the week.  I had my first weekly "cheat" day, which I enjoyed, but starting again this week I have felt no real cravings for sweets or bread.  (Well, except when my kids were enjoying those sweet Hawaiian rolls that Publix sells near the fried chicken).  My compliance has been pretty darn good, if I do say.  My energy level has been noticeably more even (but am I more sensitive to lack of sleep??).  Finally, I have lost several pounds with minimal effort.  Hmmm.  The plan is to try this thing for six weeks or so and re-assess then.  So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment