Running (124) Life (58) Family (50) nutrition (20) injury (9) training (6) yoga (6) cycling (5)

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Three Gap / awash in memories

One thing that makes a race really cool for me is doing it somewhere I feel connected to.  Not that I wouldn't love to travel to do a randomly located exotic race, but I have tended to stay in places either closer to home or that have other meaning.  As an example, the ironman I did in 2003 (Great Floridian) was the same race I had a few years earlier watched a friend of mine finish, when the seed was planted for me to do that.  Most marathons and my lone ultra have been near home (Vermont City Marathon, Vermont 50, Five Points of Life in Gainesville, FL).   For bike trips, I rode Ride the Rockies in 2005, days before moving away from Colorado (also the state where both of my parents grew up).

My most recent effort, the Three Gap Fifty, fit into this pattern.  Gary Wimsett, a good friend and a fine upstanding citizen, came up with the idea after we had spent a few months discussing an adventure of some sort.  Unfortunately, we decided to go a mere six weeks before race time, leaving minimal training time.  The actual race, a road bike ride, is the "Six Gap Century," which takes place in North Georgia and has several solid climbs for a total elevation gain of 11000+ feet over 103 miles.  It sounded fun but the reality of training in flat Florida for only six weeks made us realize that the short version was a better goal.  A few of Gary's friends were doing it, and it was in an area I had visited before at least three times, for hikes on the southernmost section of the Appalachian Trail.  In fact, the place names are so burned in my memory that I felt like I would be riding through familiar territory despite never having cycled anywhere near here.   Gary and I planned to do the ride, then spend a few days hiking in the area - the makings of great road trip.

So, we trained as best we could -- in fact, as I wrote last time, I felt that the minimal but efficient training had been fruitful.  The few days before the race I felt good (though Gary was battling a respiratory infection with a little help from the pharmaceutical industry).  We packed up the car and left, each debating for a while whether we out to stick with the plan and do the 58 mile ride, or just go for the century.  As is usual for me, I changed my mind to the 100, only to change it back the morning before the race.

We met up with Gary's friends, Isaac and Dave, and stayed in Dave's brother's cabin (I think I have that right, although the "relative of a friend of a friend" relationship is a tricky one).  A fair amount of trash talking ensued as we ate a gigantic pre-race meal and watched football.  Though we went to bed early, I couldn't sleep thanks to the double espresso I had earlier that day.  Par for the course before a big event.
Riding partner, Gary

 Race day was outstanding, with temps in the high 50s and sun.  We drove to the start, and from the first few miles I knew it would be a good day.  I felt strong, and the climbs were reasonable (in fact, despite being a flatlander I felt as good as I had climbing similar hills after living and training in Colorado at altitude)  What I really enjoyed was the fun of riding, and the purity of climbing.  This is hard to explain but I have talked to others who have had the same experience -- whether walking up a long snow climb with an ice ax, pedaling in low gear for an hour straight, or running up a mountain, the meditative quality of working hard in a repetitive way while in a beautiful place is incredible.  I have never been ashamed to have and use a triple chain ring, and I used it then.  The race was well supported and the cyclists were friendly.   The toughest climb for me was Wolfpen Gap - a shorter but more consistently steep effort than the earlier longer climb up Neels Gap.  The weather got warm later in the day, but this was after the major climbs and we finished up with a sunny ride through a pleasant valley.

Recovery meal.
We finished our portion in just over 5 hours, enjoyed the post-race festivites, and went to Gary's father's house (also in the same area), where our post-race recovery "meal" spanned 48 hours.  A sampler:  spaghetti and meatballs, steak with homemade potato salad, biscuits and ham with grits and eggs, Bavarian sausage and pretzels with beer, fried chicken and potatoes, pancakes and ham.  A particularly gluttonous episode was eating and drinking the aforementioned Bavarian "snack" in Helen, GA at 3 pm knowing that friend chicken dinner awaiting us at 6 pm!  We did hike that  day, enough to loosen up our legs and enjoy the scenery (as well as make me recall, quite fondly, the 800+ mile hike I took with Jess the summer before we got married).
View from hike
Feeling good afterward

All in all, this was a great event and a great road trip.  I plan to return next year for the big boy version, and I think having that goal will provide a nice motivation to cycle more (as well as a nice distraction from not running, depending on how my knee does).  All for now.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome and beautiful place and race. I can't help thinking, what are things called "hills" you talk of? Sometimes I think I'd like to live close enough to some to experience them, but then sometimes not. I think I'll be accompanying Matt to central FL in a month for something called the "Horrible Hundred." I will be road crew/cheerleader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horrible Hundred? Sounds intriguing. Tell me how it is.

    ReplyDelete